Lately, ever year has a theme. Since I have acquired the memory of a goldfish, I can no longer remember with crystal clarity the theme of each year. For instance:
2003 was a year of high hopes
2004 was, I think, the year I felt great things were in the offing and great forces were moving towards great achievements.
2005 was the year the wheels fell off. The great forces ended up sticking said force right in our collective backsides
2006 was worse.
2007 has been a year of absolute grey limbo. Nothing exciting happened, nothing exciting seems on the horizon. But decisions have been made, plans have begun to take shape and 2008 could turn out a very interesting year.
One can hope.
So, here’s the annual Year in Review for 2007.
- I bought a brand-new car. First in my family to do so. Act impressed, dammit.
- Da Iggles lost. Again. Goddamn New Orleans.
- General Lee’s 200th birthday was celebrated. By somebody, somewhere. I mostly think – in concert with Henry Adams – that he’s a damned traitor who ought to be hanged.
- Another birthday for this increasingly bile-spewing place.
- Worst day of the year. As usual.
- Spring Training! Nuff said.
- The Limbo-ball really started rolling.
- I mulled my true legacy: curmudgeoness.
- After worrying about the weather, I spent a St. Patrick’s Day for the ages in Philly. Saw the finest example of precision projectile vomiting I’ve ever witnessed. You shoulda been there.
- I spent most of this month working extraordinarily long hours during the week and slightly normal hours on the weekend. I missed Opening Day, damned near missed Easter, did go to some ballgames, but didn’t write about it.
- The house next door caught on fire, though. That was entertaining.
- Went to the movies, like clockwork.
- Got to see the Phillies. On Mother’s Day. And some dingbat damned near ruined it.
- Star Wars turned 30. Since I can remember seeing it in the theatres that officially makes me old.
- Did 1,000 posts. In five years. Impressed yet?
- Did the Greatest Movies Ever Made! If you disagree, you’re an idiot. Have to update that list in a couple of years to make sure I haven’t missed anything.
- Finally got to bum around Birmingham, Alabama and went back to Nashville for the first time in a year. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.
- There was, apparently, a lot of baseball to be seen this month. Including the Phillies’ 10,000th loss.
- “Maybe you want to put some [pants] on, or something, if you want to continue to fight evil today.”
- Our glorious German Pope finally acknowledges the grave mistakes made during Vatican II and begins the restoration of the One True Church to her former Glory.
- Vacation! In the Bronx! And Camden! Fifth Avenue at the end of the day is pretty sweet.
- Lots of Red Sox goodness. Or would have been, if I hadn’t been there.
- “Life’s a piece of shit, when you look at it. Life’s a laugh and death’s a joke, it’s true.”
- I lost everything. Five years of building a web presence, gone in a flash.
- The Red Sox won the division. No surprise. But, SURPRISE! So did the Phillies.
- I went to the friggin playoffs. I still can’t believe it. What an entertaining day.
- Today was a shitty day.
- Coors Light, my baseball beer of choice, was banned for the duration of the Series. The first quaff after a Colorado got a well-deserved beat down was all the sweeter.
- Here we go. Whee! Urp.
- This really is a horrible place to live. Good place to grow up. Even better place to flee from.
- MVP!!! MVP!!!
- The Hot Stove season has officially begun!
- Evel, we miss you already. The world is a lesser place without you.
- Teddy! Oh, I’m sorry, Theodore. Mr. President. Send out the Fleet!
Like I said: There’s always next year.